BAHS is an inclusive community where student’s social, emotional and academic needs are valued, honored and met through personalized learning and authentic relationships.
District 191 secondary schools offer AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination), a college prep program designed to increase the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges. AVID serves all students by ensuring they acquire the organizational and study skills needed for them to be successful. Students learn academic strategies to develop critical thinking skills and ask probing questions.
- Accelerate under-achieving students who have potential into more rigorous courses
- Teach academic and social skills not targeted in other classes
- Provide intensive support with in-class tutors and a strong student/teacher relationship
- Create a positive peer group for students
- Develop a sense of hope and personal achievement through hard work and determination
AVID is also available as an elective course for students. Use of AVID teaching methods, such as Cornell note-taking and group collaboration, takes place in all classes and creates a college-going culture across all schools, so that every student benefits from this renowned national program.
Credit Recovery Options
- BAHS tudents can complete one credit recovery course using Edgenuity per quarter during the school day at BAHS. This should be completed during STRIVE class.
- BAHS student have access to ISD 191 Summer School to complete credit recovery.
- BAHS students can enroll in BHS after school credit recovery courses while attending BAHS.
Continuous Learning Plan
Each student at BAHS is required to complete a Continuous Learning Plan (CLP) with the assistance of the STRIVE advisory teacher. This plan is developed annually for each student and reviewed quarterly. It is developed and reviewed by the student, parent or guardian, teachers, and other staff. The CLP includes a credit summary, course planning, graduation timeline, as well as academic/personal/post secondary goal setting and reflection.